Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Oh, for an undamaged trailer

I was warned if I did not show up on time at the beverage distributor in Aurora, Colorado there might be a long wait for unload. Damn their honesty, it was a 5-hour wait for unloading.

The plywood front bulkhead of this particular trailer had a few holes punched into it along the floor from overeager forklift operators. My next load was to pick up from a company in Windsor, Colorado that I've been to before and I know they are very, very picky about the trailers used to haul their product. Thus, the search for an undamaged trailer was underway.

I was ordered to drop my current trailer at our yard in Commerce City then head about a mile away to the Estes yard for a van trailer. No joy, nothing there. Then the orders came to head over to the Watkins yard in Henderson to check there. The only empty van trailer was worse than the one I had just dropped, and dirty besides. I did note one slightly newer van of ours still on their crossdock so I went inside and pestered the operations folks. They checked and it turned out to be empty so I took it. It was dirty and there were some holes in that bulkhead as well, but it wasn't as bad as the first one.

I shot up I-25 to Windsor and checked in. After some energetic sweeping it passed muster and the loading began.

Now the trailer is full with over 220,000 (not a misprint) empty aluminum cans for various beverages that I'm hauling to Kansas City tomorrow. But for now, it is lights out for me.