Thursday, May 21, 2009

Almost screwed

I noticed a shiny round object about the size of a dime on my left steer tire, and it turned out to be an inch-long screw. It was right up on the edge of the tire and went in vertically so all it hit was rubber, thank goodness. A little to the inside and it would have popped, a little diagonal in the sidewall and it would have been a set of new steer tires. Whew.

The planners got me a load down to Phoenix that delivers anytime Friday. This normally means that a) I will take a PetSmart load up towards Denver, and b) the rest of Friday will be wasted, due to a Saturday pickup. Late this afternoon my suspicions were proven on both counts.

It has been very windy on the way from Omaha to Albuquerque, New Mexico where I decided to stop tonight. My original plan was to push on to Jamestown or Gallup to give myself more available time tomorrow once I get to Phoenix, but now that doesn't matter since I can't pick up the next load until Saturday. They will get their 36,000 pounds of dog chow when I decide to show up, so nya.