Monday, May 12, 2008

"Driver, can you help a driver get home?"

After I dropped off in Trenton, Missouri I was sent east to the familiar ConAgra plant in Macon, Missouri to pick up a load headed back up to Omaha. I was less than an hour away from Omaha when my satellite unit beeped and a message appeared, asking if I could help take a load from Omaha to Des Moines, Iowa after I dropped the trailer I was carrying at the yard so another driver could get home.

Sure, why not?

So, I did what I was told and picked up a load in nearby Council Bluffs, Iowa and took it to a certain truck stop near Des Moines where we agreed to meet up. He was taking my load back east to Pennsylvania and I would take his load to our drop yard in Kansas City, Missouri.

I arrived around 2130 and told our elite staff at HQ where I was parked and to have the other driver wake me up when he arrived. He did so around 0130 and I groggily exchanged trailers and paperwork with him, then got back to sleep.