Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Trip #20: Pine Bluff, AR to La Vista, NE


View Larger Map

I asked for directions to the shipper once I had received the load information. "No directions" was the answer I got back. Great.

They did have a street address so I tried finding it on my Garmin and via Google Maps. It turns out that finding a street address is easier when the name of the street itself is spelled correctly. The destination lay somewhere in the port area of the city in a maze of small streets. Just where I wanted to take a big rig today.

I made one bad turn on my way into the port area and managed to run around a railroad switching yard for a few minutes before I could carefully make a u-turn and go back the way I came. A few minutes after that I spied the shipper and went in to be loaded.

It turns out I'm carrying a load of special concrete mix they use for swimming pools. It is the heaviest load I've handled yet for this company, at 45,000 pounds. The only way I managed to remain legal was that I only had a half tank of fuel. The Flying J in Kansas City had (relatively) cheap fuel I had to pass up so I didn't go over.

Finding the consignee in a new business park was a treat as well. Eventually all that was taken care of and my new load information was zapped to me.