Saturday, March 15, 2008

Third preplan in a row


View Larger Map

This morning I spent eight hours sleeping before heading out in order to take advantage of the split-sleeper provision in the Hours of Service rules. Basically, instead of taking 10 hours to qualify as a rest period you can take it in the form of an eight hour break followed by a two hour break (or the reverse, with certain limitations). The reason I didn't wait for the last two hours was so I could arrive in West Memphis, Arkansas in the early evening, which I did. Tonight I'm at one of the Pilot's in town pleasing everyone with the sweet melody of my reefer unit running. Such is the life.

As I was driving my QualComm unit beeped. Lo and behold, another preplan! After I drop my current load in central Georgia on Monday morning it has me moving up a few hundred miles to northern Alabama to take a load up to Iowa. Time is a bit tight, though, having me load that afternoon and deliver at 0300 two days later.

I had some difficulty scaling my load this morning (the company requires us to scale all loads). The first two truckstops I ran across had their scales out of service. One of them being the Flying J on the east side of Joplin so just for old time's sake I drove up 32nd street past the CFI building and back on to I-44 to get scaled at the local Petro. So if any of you readers out there saw a Hill Bros truck out front around noon you weren't seeing things :)